Degree Requirements - Strings & Harp - Ba Music, Music Emphasis

a violinist holds her instrument and smiles into camera

Degree Requirements

Strings & Harp

BA in Music • Music Emphasis


The 4-year Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Music is an undergraduate interdisciplinary degree in which students pursue a twelve-hour concentration or emphasis in music and twelve hours in a secondary field of study outside of music. Additional core curriculum and general education credits may also be required. In many cases, coursework from a second major, minor or certificate can be used to satisfy the secondary field of study requirement.


B.A. in Music, Concentration in Musicology-Ethnomusicology

B.A. in Music, Concentration in Music and Media

B.A. in Music, Concentration in Music and Health

B.A. in Music, Concentration in Self-Directed Study

B.A. in Music, Emphasis in Music Composition

Selecting an Emphasis or Concentration

B.A. in Music students are required select an emphasis or concentration in one of the areas listed above. Students interested in pursuing an emphasis in music composition or concentration in musicology-ethnomusicology, music and media, or music and health must be officially accepted into these areas. Students who do not intend to pursue study in one of these areas should read the guidelines for the Emphasis in Music, Concentration in Self-Directed Study. 

Prospective students may apply to the Bachelor of Arts in Music – Emphasis in Music degree or the Bachelor of Arts in Music – Emphasis in Music Composition degree through the admissions application. It is not possible to apply directly to the Musicology-Ethnomusicology, Music & Media, Music & Health, or Self-Directed Study concentrations. Students admitted to the B.A. in Music – Emphasis in Music degree will work with the B.A. Program Coordinator to select a concentration in one of the areas listed above once they are enrolled.

Current students interested in the B.A. should meet with Dr. Sonia Seeman, BA Program Coordinator, to discuss concentrations first. Once a concentration is chosen, students should meet with undergraduate academic advisor Joseph Reese


Administrative Contacts

Director of Undergraduate Studies

Scholarships & Assistantships

Academic Advisor for Music

Assistant Director for Admissions

Operations & Scheduling

String Faculty

Bachelor of Arts Contacts

BA In Music Program Coordinator 

Faculty Mentors




Degree Requirements 

Degree plans provide you with a list of all the courses that are required to earn a specific degree. You can use them to decide on a major, compare the differences in degrees, and to make informed decisions in choosing which courses to take each semester. 

Undergraduate degree plans are available on the College of Fine Arts website. 


View Degree Plans



There is no recital requirement for students in the Bachelor of Arts in Music degree. However, BA students may apply to perform a Recognition in Music Performance Recital, provided they are enrolled in principal instrument course 260. This petition may be submitted during any semester in which the student is enrolled in principal instrument course 260. Students will then perform a Full Division Faculty Jury (FDFJ). After successfully passing the FDFJ, the student must present a recognition recital during the following academic year. The student may also enroll in Music 420R rather than principal instrument course 260 for the semester in which the Recognition Recital is to be given. 

Find recital scheduling procedures for the Recognition in Music Performance Recital on the Butler School Operations website. 


Bachelor of Arts students must perform a jury every second semester until their respective requirements are met. 

Postponements are allowed for extenuating circumstances (injury, death in the family, etc.).  No-shows are considered a failure. If a jury is postponed, the student must perform the jury within the first twelve class days of the following semester and pass in order to advance to the next level. 

Students should fill out a jury form and provide it to their instructor for every semester of study until the jury sequence for a degree program is fulfilled. 

Jury Requirements
210b and 210d260a/b
Jury repertoire is determined by the student’s studio teacher. BA students may continue with 260 sequence and perform a Full-Division Faculty Jury (FDFJ) at “a” or “b” level for Recognition in Music Performance Recital consideration.* 


All concerto and solo works are to be performed from memory except works written after 1950. 

*If performing a Recognition Recital, the repertoire shall consist of works or parts of works to equal a program of 30 minutes in length. It is expected that solo, concerto or sonata repertoire works are to be performed.  Chamber works are discouraged except those that exhibit the instrument in a significant solo or obbligato role and with the prior approval of the studio teacher and division head. 

A jury is not required for students performing a degree recital that semester. 

Find more information about this semester's juries, including FDFJ forms and deadlines. 



Advising & Registration

For information about course registration, deadlines, adding and dropping courses and other policies, visit the Graduate School Academic & Registration Policies webpage.

Students who wish to take an independent study course need to fill out a Consent Form. Once the faculty member and Graduate Coordinator have approved your request, the bar to register for the course will be lifted.

To be eligible for fellowships, scholarships and assistantships, graduate students are required to be enrolled full-time (at least 9 hours).

All international students are also required to be enrolled full-time during each long semester, regardless of whether they receive funding from the Butler School of Music.




College of Fine Arts Student Affairs
Advising, registration, and graduation information 

Consent Form
For independent music study or other restricted individual instruction music courses 

Dean of Students 

Degree Planning Resources
Information on transferring credits, interactive degree audit, UT Planner, and the graduation help desk 

View your class schedule, see personalized financial aid and registration information, and more  

Office of the Registrar
Course schedules, catalogs, and academic calendars 

Records and Transcripts

Registration System 


Merit-Based Music Scholarships

Office of Financial Aid

Student Accounts Receivable

Texas One Stop

Veteran Education Benefits 

Campus Resources

Butler School Internal Operations

Establishing Texas Residency

Housing and Dining

Information Technology Services
EID, DUO, Office 365, email, Qualtrics, Box, and other central IT support 


Parking & Transportation
Including UT parking permits, maps, and shuttle routes 

Career Assistance 

Fine Arts Career Services 

Fine Arts Center for Creative Entrepreneurship 


College of Fine Arts Resources 

College of Fine Arts Safety

Community Engagement and Public Practice

Fine Arts Library

Fine Arts Student Council

Health & Wellness 

Counseling and Mental Health Center 

Fine Arts CARE Counseling 

Musicians’ Health

University Health Services

Student Support Services

Women's Community Center

Sanger Learning Center 

Disability and Access

Student Emergency Services

Texas Global

Recreational Sports