The University of Texas at Austin is located in the heart of the city of Austin, just north of the downtown area. Campus is just two miles from the State Capitol. Main thoroughfares around campus include Guadalupe to the west, MLK to the south, Red River to the east and 26th (Dean Keeton) to the north. Check out the main area map of the university. The Butler School of Music (MRH) is located in the northeast corner of campus.
Sarah and Ernest Butler School of Music (MRH)
2406 Robert Dedman Dr.
Austin, TX 78712
Road closures will disrupt traffic and parking along Robert Dedman Drive and Trinity Street beginning March 2020. Click below for more information.
Construction Impacts Beginning March 2020
The University has begun building the new Moody Center basketball arena which will eventually be located on what is currently the Lot 70 parking lot; this construction requires that Red River Street be realigned along the route of the existing Robert Dedman Drive (although the street will bear the same name within campus boundaries).
Upon completion, the existing Red River Street will be formally vacated from its intersection with Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard to its intersection with Clyde Littlefield Drive. You can read more about the arena and realignment project here.
We anticipate significant, permanent impacts to both traffic congestion and the availability of parking in our area of campus; some of these impacts are still unknown and we will work to keep this page updated as plans materialize.
Road Closures & Congestion:
- Robert Dedman Drive: Closed to all through-traffic from Trinity Street to Clyde Littlefield Drive from March 2020 - September 2020.
- Trinity Street: Designated as an official detour around Robert Dedman Drive, so expect an increase in traffic congestion. There will be construction along Trinity Street's north edge from roughly Lot 20 (closed for through-traffic) to Robert Dedman Drive; street parking along this section will also be closed.
- Lot 37: From mid-March 2020 through July 2022, spaces located in the southeast corner will be closed to hold construction office trailers. During April 2020, excavation will begin in Lot 37 to prepare sites for two trees relocated from the Moody Center construction site. During this time, Red River St. (from Clyde Littlefield Dr. to E. Dean Keeton St.) will be closed to through traffic but open to local traffic to the LBJ Library, Sid Richardson Hall, Indoor Practice Facility, and Material Transfer Center. Please note: We expect the pedestrian pathways from this lot to our building to be impacted by the construction; expect increased walking time.
- Lot 39: This lot along the edge of the current Red River Street will remain open for the time being, but we expect the pedestrian pathways from those lots to our building to be impacted by the construction. Expect increased walking time from Lot 39 to our building.
- Lot 70: The site of the new arena; permanently closed.
- Lot 80: In March 2020, this lot will be closed for excavation. By April 2020, one of the two lanes of parking may be reopened if feasible
- Arrive earlier to your event to account for increased congestion and walking times.
- San Jacinto Garage, Manor Garage, Lots 37 and 39 will all still be options for UT parking. City metered parking along Dean Keeton Street will likely become more competitive for parking, but will remain available.
- Important note: The west entrance to Manor Garage will be closed; please enter via the north entrance on Clyde Littlefield Drive which can be reached by Red River Street.
- Be aware that the effects of pedestrian access along Robert Dedman Drive are still unknown at this time, though the project will provide way-finding signage.
- Note for students: The C/C+ permit holders may park in any C and Longhorn Lots. There are currently adequate spots to park in the East Campus lots (Longhorn Lots) to support those who have been displaced from Lots 37, 70 and 80. A shuttle bus, Route 641, runs Sunday through Friday from the East Campus stops to the main campus.
2020 Construction Parking Map
click to view larger
Parking Options for visiting the Butler School of Music
With the sheer size of The University of Texas at Austin campus and the number of people and cars visit daily, parking on or near campus can sometimes pose a challenge. Give yourself ample time for parking. There is no free visitor parking anywhere on campus.
Whether you are a prospective student visiting the Butler School, or attending a concert, you can use the information below to plan your visit.
Bates Recital Hall & Recital Studio (MRH 2.608)
2406 Robert Dedman Dr.
Austin, TX 78712
2375 Robert Dedman Dr.
Austin, TX 78712
The university recommends visitors to the UT campus park in a campus garage. Garages are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is a fee to park in any UT garage. Garage Daily Paid Parking Rates are available on the Parking and Transportation Services website. Special event rates may apply when certain major events are happening on campus. Credit cards are accepted at all times in the garages.
The San Jacinto Parking Garage is located on Trinity Street, directly behind the Butler School of Music and next to the Texas Memorial Museum. It is the closest garage to the Butler School of Music. This portion of Trinity is one-way northbound.
The Manor Garage is located at the corner of Robert Dedman Dr. and Clyde Littlefield Dr. across Robert Dedman from the DKR Texas Memorial Stadium.
All street and surface parking lots on campus require a university permit 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Parking in these locations, even for a short period of time, may result in a citation. Temporary permits for visitors are available on evenings and weekends through Click & Park (see below).
City of Austin metered parking is available on Dean Keeton Street near the intersection of Robert Dedman Drive. Meters are not enforced after 6 PM Monday through Saturday or all day Sunday.
Discounted Event Parking with Click & Park
Purchase discounted parking in advance for Butler School of Music events from the Parking and Transportation Services Click & Park website. Choose "College of Fine Arts / Texas Performing Arts" as the venue for any Butler School events you plan to attend.
- $6 parking is available for all surface parking spaces on The University of Texas at Austin campus (with the exception of lots 38 & 40, permit parking designated F99 or O, and metered parking spaces) during non-business hours (Monday – Friday 5:45 PM – 4 AM and weekends 7 AM – 4 AM).
- Parking must be purchased online by 10 PM the day before the event.
- Print permit prior to arrival and place on dashboard.
- Parking is subject to availability. All pre-purchased permits are non-refundable, even if the event is canceled.
Same-Day Temporary Event Permits
Patrons can purchase a $10 permit for any surface from a permit-dispensing machine located between Parking Lots 38 and 39 on Red River St., behind the Lyndon B. Johnson Library. Permits issued from this machine are valid for the event day only and for any UT surface parking spaces (with the exception of lots 38 & 40, permit parking designated F99 or O, and metered parking spaces).
ADA & Handicapped Parking
Handicapped parking spaces are located in the San Jacinto Garage. If you are parking in any ADA space on campus, you need to have a government-issued permit. Visit Parking and Transportation Services for more information on parking for visitors with disabilities.
Parking at Jessen Auditorium
Homer Rainey Hall
201 W. 21st St.
Austin, TX 78705
Click on map to view a larger version. Or click here to view a downloadable pdf.
Dobie Mall Garage, located at 2005 Whitis Ave., is across the street from the venue. Rates vary, credit card only. The Dobie Mall Garage is not a university garage.
The AT&T Conference Center Garage is about a block away from the venue. Rates vary, credit cards only.
City of Austin metered parking is available on University Avenue and Guadalupe, 20th, and 21st Streets.
Additional non-university paid-parking lots are available in the area.
There is no Click & Park surface parking available near Jessen Auditorium.
ADA & Handicapped Parking
Handicapped parking spaces are available in the area as well as in the AT&T Conference Center Garage.