Degree Requirements - Brass, Woodwinds & Percussion - BM Performance

Clarinet player with instrument

Degree Requirements

Brass, Woodwinds, Percussion

BM • Performance


The 4-year undergraduate Bachelor of Music (B.M.) in Performance degree provides extensive applied training, ensemble participation and chamber music experiences, in addition to comprehensive instruction in music theory and music history. Performance majors also complete the university’s core curriculum


Administrative Contacts

Director of Undergraduate Studies

Scholarships & Assistantships

Academic Advisor for Music

Assistant Director for Admissions

Operations & Scheduling




Degree Requirements 

Degree plans provide you with a list of all the courses that are required to earn a specific degree. You can use them to decide on a major, compare the differences in degrees, and to make informed decisions in choosing which courses to take each semester. 

Undergraduate degree plans are available on the College of Fine Arts website. 


View Degree Plans



Bachelor of Music students in performance or composition degrees are required to perform a Senior Recital in the final year of study, after successfully passing the Full Division Faculty Jury (FDFJ).  

Jazz students and performance students with a focus in pedagogy are also required to perform a Junior Recital in the third year of study. Junior recitals are typically shorter and should never extend beyond an hour. 

Find recital scheduling procedures on the Butler School Operations website. 


Bachelor of Music in Performance students must perform juries in the spring semesters of their first and second years.  

Some instructors may require students to announce their selections and/or talk about the music as part of the jury. 

Repertoire Requirements
First Year Repertoire
(10 minutes | 312b)
Second Year Repertoire
(Full-Division, Faculty Jury)
(15 minutes | 312d
At least one selection must include a collaborative pianist

1. Prepare 20 minutes of music, though only 15 minutes of repertoire will be selected 

2. Music must be from different style periods; at least one selection must include a collaborative pianist 


Postponements are allowed for extenuating circumstances (injury, death in the family, etc.).  No-shows are considered a failure. If a jury is postponed, the student must perform the jury within the first twelve class days of the following semester and pass in order to advance to the next level.  

Jury comments from faculty will be shared with students by the undergraduate advisor. The primary studio teacher assigns a jury grade which is combined with an applied lesson grade to determine the overall semester grade. Each studio professor determines the weight of the jury grade for their own students and clearly indicates this in their respective syllabi. For undergraduate juries, any student held at level by the jury committee may not receive a letter grade greater than a C from their studio instructor. 

Find more information about this semester's juries, including FDFJ forms and deadlines. 




For information about course registration, academic deadlines, adding and dropping courses, applying to graduate and other policies, visit the College of Fine Arts Student Affairs website

Non-music majors should contact their home college’s advising office. Prospective students may contact the Music Admissions Office for assistance. 

Music majors who wish to take a restricted individual instruction course need to fill out a Consent Form. Once the faculty member has approved your request, the bar to register for the course will be lifted. This form is available at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters and summer session registration periods, through the 12th class day (4th class day for summer sessions). 

Music majors who wish to take an independent study course need to complete a Request Form. The request will be reviewed by the Director of Undergraduate Studies. If approved, the Academic Advisor for Music will add the independent study course for the student. This form is available every semester. 




College of Fine Arts Student Affairs
Advising, registration, and graduation information 

Consent Form
For independent music study or other restricted individual instruction music courses 

Dean of Students 

Degree Planning Resources
Information on transferring credits, interactive degree audit, UT Planner, and the graduation help desk 

View your class schedule, see personalized financial aid and registration information, and more  

Office of the Registrar
Course schedules, catalogs, and academic calendars 

Records and Transcripts

Registration System 


Merit-Based Music Scholarships

Office of Financial Aid

Student Accounts Receivable

Texas One Stop

Veteran Education Benefits 

Campus Resources

Butler School Internal Operations

Establishing Texas Residency

Housing and Dining

Information Technology Services
EID, DUO, Office 365, email, Qualtrics, Box, and other central IT support 


Parking & Transportation
Including UT parking permits, maps, and shuttle routes 

Career Assistance 

Fine Arts Career Services 

Fine Arts Center for Creative Entrepreneurship 


College of Fine Arts Resources 

College of Fine Arts Safety

Community Engagement and Public Practice

Fine Arts Library

Fine Arts Student Council

Health & Wellness 

Counseling and Mental Health Center 

Fine Arts CARE Counseling 

Musicians’ Health

University Health Services

Student Support Services

Women's Community Center

Sanger Learning Center 

Disability and Access

Student Emergency Services

Texas Global

Recreational Sports