Degree Requirements - Voice - BM Choral Music Studies

A voice student holds a music folio and smiles into camera

Degree Requiremnets


BM • Choral Music Studies


The 4-year undergraduate Bachelor of Music (B.M.) in Music Studies degree leads to all-level music teacher certification in public schools. In addition to extensive training in music teaching and learning, students take lessons in their primary instrument, participate in ensembles and receive comprehensive instruction in music theory and music history. Music Studies majors also complete the university’s core curriculum


Administrative Contacts

Director of Undergraduate Studies

Scholarships & Assistantships

Academic Advisor for Music

Assistant Director for Admissions

Operations & Scheduling

Voice & Opera Faculty

Music & Human Learning Faculty

  • Robert A. Duke

    Director, Center for Human Learning
  • Suzanne Pence

    Director, Chamber Treble Choir
    Associate Professor of Music and Human Learning, Choral Conducting
  • Laurie Scott

    Associate Professor of Music and Human Learning
    Director, The University of Texas String Project
    Director, Musical Lives
  • Amy Simmons

    Senior Lecturer in Music and Human Learning
  • Justin J. West

    Assistant Professor of Music and Human Learning
  • Marjorie Yankeelov

    Lecturer in Music and Human Learning



Degree Requirements 

Degree plans provide you with a list of all the courses that are required to earn a specific degree. You can use them to decide on a major, compare the differences in degrees, and to make informed decisions in choosing which courses to take each semester. 

Undergraduate degree plans are available on the College of Fine Arts website. 


View Degree Plans



Students in a Music Studies degree are required to do a Community Recital, in which the student arranges for a space off-campus independently. The recital must be at least 30 minutes in length. To schedule a Community Recital, please contact Prof. Amy Simmons for paperwork. 

Alternatively, Music Studies students may apply to perform a Recognition in Music Performance Recital, provided they are enrolled in principal instrument course 260. This petition may be submitted during any semester in which the student is enrolled in principal instrument course 260. Students will then perform a Full Division Faculty Jury (FDFJ). After successfully passing the FDFJ, the student must present a recognition recital during the following academic year. The student may also enroll in Music 420R rather than principal instrument course 260 for the semester in which the Recognition Recital is to be given. 

Find recital scheduling procedures for the Recognition in Music Performance Recital on the Butler School Operations website. 


Bachelor of Music Studies students must perform juries throughout the first three years of study. All jury repertoire must be memorized. No juries are required in the same semester that students perform a Community Recital or a Recognition in Music Performance Recital.

Jury Requirements
  Fall Spring
First Year

6 minutes 

Prepare six songs which include French, German, Italian and English Languages 

Same requirements as fall semester 
Second Year

6 minutes 

Prepare six songs which include French, German, Italian and English Languages 

10 minutes (Full-Division Faculty Jury) 

Same repertoire requirements as fall semester 

Third Year

6 minutes 

Prepare repertoire that includes four languages and diverse styles 

Same requirements as fall semester 



Students should provide a “jury sheet” for all of the faculty with the repertoire they have prepared. Students are required to give minute synopsis for each selection from the stage. 

Postponements are allowed for extenuating circumstances (injury, death in the family, etc.).  No-shows are considered a failure. If a jury is postponed, the student must perform the jury within the first twelve class days of the following semester.  

Jury comments from faculty will be shared with students.  

Find more information about this semester's juries, including FDFJ forms and deadlines. 




For information about course registration, academic deadlines, adding and dropping courses, applying to graduate and other policies, visit the College of Fine Arts Student Affairs website

Non-music majors should contact their home college’s advising office. Prospective students may contact the Music Admissions Office for assistance. 

Music majors who wish to take a restricted individual instruction course need to fill out a Consent Form. Once the faculty member has approved your request, the bar to register for the course will be lifted. This form is available at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters and summer session registration periods, through the 12th class day (4th class day for summer sessions). 

Music majors who wish to take an independent study course need to complete a Request Form. The request will be reviewed by the Director of Undergraduate Studies. If approved, the Academic Advisor for Music will add the independent study course for the student. This form is available every semester. 




College of Fine Arts Student Affairs
Advising, registration, and graduation information 

Consent Form
For independent music study or other restricted individual instruction music courses 

Dean of Students 

Degree Planning Resources
Information on transferring credits, interactive degree audit, UT Planner, and the graduation help desk 

View your class schedule, see personalized financial aid and registration information, and more  

Office of the Registrar
Course schedules, catalogs, and academic calendars 

Records and Transcripts

Registration System 


Merit-Based Music Scholarships

Office of Financial Aid

Student Accounts Receivable

Texas One Stop

Veteran Education Benefits 

Campus Resources

Butler School Internal Operations

Establishing Texas Residency

Housing and Dining

Information Technology Services
EID, DUO, Office 365, email, Qualtrics, Box, and other central IT support 


Parking & Transportation
Including UT parking permits, maps, and shuttle routes 

Career Assistance 

Fine Arts Career Services 

Fine Arts Center for Creative Entrepreneurship 


College of Fine Arts Resources 

College of Fine Arts Safety

Community Engagement and Public Practice

Fine Arts Library

Fine Arts Student Council

Health & Wellness 

Counseling and Mental Health Center 

Fine Arts CARE Counseling 

Musicians’ Health

University Health Services

Student Support Services

Women's Community Center

Sanger Learning Center 

Disability and Access

Student Emergency Services

Texas Global

Recreational Sports