The two-year Artist Diploma (A.D.) in Music Performance is a highly specialized and performance-oriented non-degree graduate certificate program for exceptional musicians who have great potential for a professional career in music performance at the international level.
|Director of Graduate Studies, Graduate Advisor||James Buhler|
|Graduate Coordinator||Marina Martinez|
|Graduate Admissions Coordinator||Daniel Seriff|
|Scholarships & Assistantships Coordinator||Anne Hall|
|HR Coordinator||Aaron Pyle|
|Operations & Scheduling||Page Stephens|
|Division Head & Area Counselor, Opera||Tamara Sanikidze|
|Area Counselor, Voice & Pedagogy||Darlene Wiley|
|Director & Principal Coach, Butler Opera Center||Tamara Sanikidze|
|Conductor & Coach, Butler Opera Center||Douglas Kinney Frost|
|Stage Director, Butler Opera Center||Chía Patiño|
|Collaborative Piano||Rick Rowley|
|Voice||Donnie Ray Albert|
The A.D. in Opera Performance requires 27 hours of registered coursework and three public recitals. A chamber music option is available.
|Hours||Course Number||Course Title/Description|
|4||VOI 480||Graduate Performance (in the first semester)|
|9||MUS 398D||Artist Recital (in the second, third, and fourth semesters)|
|4||ENS 18x||Opera Studio or Butler Opera Center (4 semesters)|
|4||MUS 180R||Vocal Repertoire Coaching (4 semesters)|
|6||Upper-division or graduate level courses not including those listed above. Students are encouraged to take courses appropriate to their instrument, such as literature, pedagogy, or specialized techniques.|
Opera roles may substitute for two of the three required recitals. Students using an opera role for a recital credit should email email@example.com before the performance takes place to properly log the recital.
Students are required to demonstrate by examination graduate-level proficiency in English, Italian, French, and German diction, and to exhibit language skills in the same languages equivalent to one semester of 506 each. Voice/opera majors are expected to have completed TD 309K (Musical Theatre Stage/Screen) or the equivalent.
Advising & Registration
For information about course registration, deadlines, adding and dropping courses and other policies, visit the Graduate School Academic & Registration Policies webpage.
Students who wish to take an independent study course need to fill out a Consent Form. Once the faculty member and Graduate Coordinator have approved your request, the bar to register for the course will be lifted.
To be eligible for fellowships, scholarships and assistantships, graduate students are required to be enrolled full-time (at least 9 hours).
All international students are also required to be enrolled full-time during each long semester, regardless of whether they receive funding from the Butler School of Music.
- Registration for (Instrument/Voice) 480 Graduate Performance course.
- A qualifying jury must be performed at the end of the first semester of study.
- Registration for MUS 398D, Artist Recital (for second and subsequent semesters)
- Instrumental Artist Recitals - 3 recitals with a choice between these two options: the Solo recital option (two Solo recitals, one including a complete concerto, and one chamber music recital); or the Chamber recital option (two chamber recitals and one solo recital). Two of the recitals must be presented on the UT Austin campus and one recital must be presented off the UT Austin campus.
- Voice Artist Recitals - 3 recitals (opera roles may substitute for two of the recitals).
- In order to certify the diploma, students must submit the Artist Diploma Reporting Form to the graduate coordinator (check with the coordinator for the deadline).
Important Links & Forms
Office of Graduate Studies
Including fellowship, employment, and TA and AI information
Registration, course schedules, registration bars, etc
One-stop shop for tuition bill, your course schedule, etc….
TA and AI Assistance – Tuition Reduction Benefit
Living in TX as a new student
On-Campus Procedural Info
Parking & Transportation
UT parking permits, maps, shuttle routes, etc.
Information Technology Services
UT EID help
Health & Wellness
For Master's students
For DMA/PhD students
- Course Substitution Petition Form
- DMA/PhD Course Outline
- How to fill out your Course Outline
- Request for Final Oral Examination ("Pink" sheet)
For Artist Diploma students
- Graduate School Travel Award Application
- School of Music Travel Award Application
- Consent Form - for ind. study or other completely restricted individual instruction courses