Degree Requirements - Keyboard - BA Music, Music Emphasis

A Pianist smile into the camera from a Piano.

Degree Requirements


BA in Music • Music Emphasis


The 4-year Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Music is an undergraduate interdisciplinary degree in which students pursue a twelve-hour concentration or emphasis in music and twelve hours in a secondary field of study outside of music. Additional core curriculum and general education credits may also be required. In many cases, coursework from a second major, minor or certificate can be used to satisfy the secondary field of study requirement.


B.A. in Music, Concentration in Musicology-Ethnomusicology

B.A. in Music, Concentration in Music and Media

B.A. in Music, Concentration in Music and Health

B.A. in Music, Concentration in Self-Directed Study

B.A. in Music, Emphasis in Music Composition

Selecting an Emphasis or Concentration

B.A. in Music students are required select an emphasis or concentration in one of the areas listed above. Students interested in pursuing an emphasis in music composition or concentration in musicology-ethnomusicology, music and media, or music and health must be officially accepted into these areas. Students who do not intend to pursue study in one of these areas should read the guidelines for the Emphasis in Music, Concentration in Self-Directed Study. 

Prospective students may apply to the Bachelor of Arts in Music – Emphasis in Music degree or the Bachelor of Arts in Music – Emphasis in Music Composition degree through the admissions application. It is not possible to apply directly to the Musicology-Ethnomusicology, Music & Media, Music & Health, or Self-Directed Study concentrations. Students admitted to the B.A. in Music – Emphasis in Music degree will work with the B.A. Program Coordinator to select a concentration in one of the areas listed above once they are enrolled.

Current students interested in the B.A. should meet with Dr. Sonia Seeman, BA Program Coordinator, to discuss concentrations first. Once a concentration is chosen, students should meet with undergraduate academic advisor Joseph Reese


Administrative Contacts

Director of Undergraduate Studies

Scholarships & Assistantships

Academic Advisor for Music

Assistant Director for Admissions

Operations & Scheduling

Keyboard Faculty

Bachelor of Arts Contacts

BA In Music Program Coordinator 

Faculty Mentors




Degree Requirements 

Degree plans provide you with a list of all the courses that are required to earn a specific degree. You can use them to decide on a major, compare the differences in degrees, and to make informed decisions in choosing which courses to take each semester. 

Undergraduate degree plans are available on the College of Fine Arts website. 


View Degree Plans



There is no recital requirement for students in the Bachelor of Arts in Music degree. However, BA students may apply to perform a Recognition in Music Performance Recital, provided they are enrolled in principal instrument course 260. This petition may be submitted during any semester in which the student is enrolled in principal instrument course 260. Students will then perform a Full Division Faculty Jury (FDFJ). After successfully passing the FDFJ, the student must present a recognition recital during the following academic year. The student may also enroll in Music 420R rather than principal instrument course 260 for the semester in which the Recognition Recital is to be given. 

Find recital scheduling procedures for the Recognition in Music Performance Recital on the Butler School Operations website. 


Bachelor of Arts piano and organ students must perform 10-minute juries in both fall and spring for the first two years of study. To be considered for a Recognition in Music Performance Recital, students must continue performing juries during the third year of study; one of those juries must be a Full-Division Faculty Jury. Students should provide a “jury sheet” for the faculty with repertory they have prepared.

Postponements are allowed for extenuating circumstances (injury, death in the family, etc.).  No-shows are considered a failure. If a jury is postponed, the student must perform the jury within the first twelve class days of the following semester and pass in order to advance to the next level.

Semester grades for applied lessons are comprised of the following:

50% grade from studio teacher

50% jury grade from keyboard faculty other than studio teacher

Find more information about this semester's juries, including FDFJ forms and deadlines. 




For information about course registration, academic deadlines, adding and dropping courses, applying to graduate and other policies, visit the College of Fine Arts Student Affairs website

Non-music majors should contact their home college’s advising office. Prospective students may contact the Music Admissions Office for assistance. 

Music majors who wish to take a restricted individual instruction course need to fill out a Consent Form. Once the faculty member has approved your request, the bar to register for the course will be lifted. This form is available at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters and summer session registration periods, through the 12th class day (4th class day for summer sessions). 

Music majors who wish to take an independent study course need to complete a Request Form. The request will be reviewed by the Director of Undergraduate Studies. If approved, the Academic Advisor for Music will add the independent study course for the student. This form is available every semester. 




College of Fine Arts Student Affairs
Advising, registration, and graduation information 

Consent Form
For independent music study or other restricted individual instruction music courses 

Dean of Students 

Degree Planning Resources
Information on transferring credits, interactive degree audit, UT Planner, and the graduation help desk 

View your class schedule, see personalized financial aid and registration information, and more  

Office of the Registrar
Course schedules, catalogs, and academic calendars 

Records and Transcripts

Registration System 


Merit-Based Music Scholarships

Office of Financial Aid

Student Accounts Receivable

Texas One Stop

Veteran Education Benefits 

Campus Resources

Butler School Internal Operations

Establishing Texas Residency

Housing and Dining

Information Technology Services
EID, DUO, Office 365, email, Qualtrics, Box, and other central IT support 


Parking & Transportation
Including UT parking permits, maps, and shuttle routes 

Career Assistance 

Fine Arts Career Services 

Fine Arts Center for Creative Entrepreneurship 


College of Fine Arts Resources 

College of Fine Arts Safety

Community Engagement and Public Practice

Fine Arts Library

Fine Arts Student Council

Health & Wellness 

Counseling and Mental Health Center 

Fine Arts CARE Counseling 

Musicians’ Health

University Health Services

Student Support Services

Women's Community Center

Sanger Learning Center 

Disability and Access

Student Emergency Services

Texas Global

Recreational Sports