The World is Listening
Students at the Butler School of Music enjoy more than 600 performance opportunities each year through participation in solo recitals, chamber groups and instrumental and vocal ensembles. Students perform on campus and tour nationally and internationally with our major ensembles: The University of Texas Wind Ensemble, Longhorn Band, Symphony Orchestra, New Music Ensemble, Jazz Orchestra, Chamber Singers and Butler Opera Center.
The faculty of the Butler School of Music is comprised of 100 of the most outstanding performers, composers and scholars in their fields. They perform internationally with ensembles like the London Symphony Orchestra and Chicago Symphony Orchestra. They collaborate with living legends that range from Andrea Bocelli to Willie Nelson. They have been recognized with awards from the Fulbright, MacArthur, Rockefeller and Guggenheim Foundations. Together, Butler School of Music faculty offer their students a wealth of knowledge from the world's leading conservatories and universities.
Study and train with a faculty dedicated to mentoring and cultivating the next generation of talented musicians.
- 320 Undergraduate Students
- 290 Graduate Students
- 1:7 Faculty-to-Student Ratio
- 15-25 Students: Average Class Size
Butler School Facilities
Students have access to 125 high-quality, soundproof practice rooms, including dedicated practice rooms for organ, harp and percussion, as well as 60 practice modules are equipped with grand pianos. Private lessons are given in the individual studios of our renowned performance faculty.
- 650-seat Bates Recital Hall, with its magnificent 5,315-pipe Visser-Rowland tracker organ
- 400-seat McCullough Theatre, featuring a 30-ft. proscenium stage and orchestra pit
- 320-seat Jessen Auditorium, an acoustically stunning recital and chamber music venue
- 175-seat Recital Studio, a lecture recital space
- 3,000-seat Bass Concert Hall, the flagship theatre of Texas Performing Arts
- 1,000+ items for use in traditional, early music and non-Western ensembles
- 220+ pianos, including 48 Model B 7-ft. and 12 Model D 9-ft. Steinway grand pianos
- 5 harpsichords, 1 clavichord and 1 fortepiano
- 6 organs, including 3 large organs and 3 practice organs
- Kyahi Rosowibowo "The Majestic One" Gamelan