Updated fall 2022 Butler School of Music application and prescreen/audition repertoire requirements are available here. This website will be updated to reflect these changes by Sept. 1. Please contact us at uga@mail.music.utexas.edu if you have any questions. We thank you for your patience.


What should I see and do during my visit to UT Austin and the Butler School?

You can select from a variety of visit-related activities, including Shadow Days, admissions information sessions and campus tours, residence hall tours, a Fine Arts Information Session and Tour and individual appointments. Be sure to review our calendar for upcoming performances!

Where should I stay?

The AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center is the university's premiere hotel and meeting site and the only hotel located on the campus itself. Other hotels close to the Butler School of Music are Days Inn Austin/University/Downtown and Rodeway Inn University/Downtown. The Butler School of Music cannot arrange or provide accommodations for any applicant or visitor.


How can I sign up to receive undergraduate admissions information from The University of Texas at Austin?

Interested in a Longhorn future? Sign up with the Office of Admissions to get the inside scoop on life on the Forty Acres and the ins and outs of the application process. By submitting this form, you'll receive information about undergraduate admissions, invitations to special events, announcements, and how UT Austin students and professors are changing the world.

I've completed the university application and listed music as my first-choice major. Is there anything else I need to do?

Yes. Applying to The University of Texas at Austin as a music major is a two-part process. In addition to completing an application to the university's Office of Admissions, all prospective music majors are required to submit a second application directly to the Butler School. The Butler School of Music application will allow you to request an audition/interview date and upload letters of recommendation, prescreening materials, portfolios and résumés, as applicable to your program.

I'm interested in and have a passion for music, but I have very little training and do not read music. Can I apply as a music major?

Probably not. Most students who apply as music majors have many years of experience in their instrument or voice and in ensemble performance during their middle and high school years. It is not impossible to apply and pass an audition as a music major without this background, but it is very rare. It would probably be best for you to gain experience and training privately before attempting to audition as a music major.

I play acoustic, electric and/or bass guitar. Can I apply to the Butler School as a music major?

Not unless you can pass an audition in some other instrument. Our guitar program is for classical or jazz guitar. We admit students in both areas who have extensive playing experience. Even the jazz guitar program requires an element of classical playing.

Do I have to audition if I'm not planning to pursue a performance degree?

Applicants to the Bachelor of Arts in Music degree (excluding Composition emphasis) and the Bachelor of Music degrees in PerformanceMusic Studies and Jazz must audition for admission consideration.

Bachelor of Arts in Music - Emphasis in Composition and Bachelor of Music in Composition applicants must interview with the composition faculty for admission consideration.

All degrees require a substantial amount of time in private lessons, music theory, music history, ensembles and class piano. The Butler School of Music expects applicants to be able to perform well enough in at least one instrument/voice that they can pass an audition or interview and successfully complete the degree requirements.

Visit the audition and interview webpage for detailed requirements for all instruments and degrees.

I am a former UT Austin student. How do I apply for readmission as a music major?

If you're ready to return to The University of Texas at Austin after an interruption of at least one fall or spring semester, you should apply for readmission as a former student. Even if you left with a perfectly good record, you still have to be readmitted before you re-enroll.

Former UT Austin music majors: Complete only the Application for Undergraduate Readmission.
Former UT Austin non-music majors: Complete the Application for Undergraduate Readmission and an application for Internal Transfer.
Contact Ms. Borshard if you have questions after reviewing the online materials.

Test Scores & Transcripts

Is there a required minimum score on the ACT or SAT in order for me to be eligible to apply to the Butler School?

No, UT Austin and the Butler School of Music have no minimum test score requirement for the ACT and SAT. Average admitted-student ACT and SAT scores are available in the Freshman Profile.

Does the Butler School of Music accept satisfactory scores on the AP Music Theory exam?

The AP Music Theory exam does not satisfy the requirements for MUS 605A and MUS 605B: Musicianship, the freshman-year music theory courses required for all music majors. Students who complete AP Music Theory will find the first four to six weeks of MUS 605A a good review, with material quickly progressing by the fifth or sixth week. A score of 3-5 on the AP Music Theory Exam will satisfy some or all of the requirements for MUS 306M: Elements of Music, the non-music major music theory course, which may satisfy the Visual and Performing Arts core requirement. A list of acceptable AP exams and scores is available from Testing Services.

Should I send my transcript to the Butler School of Music?

The Butler School of Music does not collect undergraduate transcripts. Please send your transcripts directly to the Office of Admissions.

Freshman  |  External Transfer

Can I make an appointment to have my transcript evaluated for transfer credit?

Evaluation of individual courses is not available over the phone, in person or by email from the Butler School of Music. Specific course evaluations and decisions about the transferability of individual courses are made only by the university's Office of Admissions after an applicant has been admitted. The Transfer Resources page offers several suggestions for self-evaluation of transcripts for transfer credit.

Transfer Students Currently Attending a Texas School: The Automated Transfer Equivalency system is a searchable database of more than 320,000 transfer credit evaluations for courses at Texas colleges and universities. The ATE is maintained by the university's Office of Admissions.

Upon entering the Butler School of Music, your transcript will be evaluated by a faculty committee to determine which previous music coursework is equivalent to our courses. There are many factors in these decisions, including your grades, how recently the course was taken, the workload of the course, etc. Up to two semesters of ensemble credits may transfer and apply toward your degree. You won't know how much credit you will receive for your performance lessons (if you've had any) until you have studied for one semester and performed a jury.

Financial Aid

What is the cost of attendance?

The University of Texas at Austin not only offers an outstanding education, but offers it at a reasonable cost. The university is considered one of the best in the world and it’s also considered one of the best values. Learn more about the cost of attending The University of Texas at Austin (housing, tuition and fees, etc.).

Are there music scholarships available?

Scholarships from the Butler School of Music are competitive music scholarships for music majors, based primarily on the entrance audition or interview. All applicants are considered for scholarship; no additional application is required.

Can I apply for aid outside of the Butler School?

Yes! Information about university-wide scholarships (scholarships that are not specifically for music students) and other types of financial assistance is available from the following websites:

Decision Release

Do you consider early applications?

No, the Butler School application deadline is Dec. 1. Submitting your application by the priority deadline will not affect the school’s admission decision or decision release date.

When will I find out if I am admitted to the university as a music major?

Freshman: by March 1

  • Your audition/interview results will be sent to the Office of Admissions for inclusion in the holistic review process.
  • Final admission decisions are available in MyStatus.
  • You will not receive a separate audition/interview results notification from the Butler School.

External Transfer: Varies

  • 24+ transferable credit hours completed by fall 2019: usually by May 1
  • 24+ transferable credit hours completed by spring 2020: usually by mid-June
  • Your audition/interview results will be sent to the Office of Admissions for inclusion in the holistic review process.
  • Final admission decisions are available in MyStatus.

Internal Transfer and Simultaneous Major applicants: by April 1

  • Results will be communicated through email.

Non-Music Major Opportunities

What opportunities are available to non-music majors? How can I stay involved in music?

Many Butler School of Music ensembles are open to any currently enrolled university student who can pass the ensemble audition. Ensemble auditions are separate from admission auditions and usually take place just before or during the first week of classes of the fall semester. Longhorn Band auditions take place during the spring and summer.

The course catalog and the non-music major webpage contain additional information on classes open to non-music majors. Non-music majors, with permission of the instructor, can even take some classes that are restricted to music majors. The process for receiving approval is explained on the non-music major webpage. Additional questions may be directed to Stephen Wray, Butler School Registrar.

Double Majors, Certificates & Minors

I want to double major. Is this possible with a music degree?

It isn’t possible to apply to have two majors at The University of Texas at Austin, but once you're enrolled, you may be able to add a second major to your degree plan.

Students are admitted to The University of Texas at Austin with a single major. By following application procedures and meeting admission requirements, students may add a second major after completing 30 semester hours (usually one year) of coursework in residence at the university. Approval of the student's application for a double major will take into account the student's ability to graduate within four years of entering the university. Please visit the Undergraduate Catalog for additional information.

Although you cannot officially declare a second major until you've earned 30 hours, you can take classes during that first year that will eventually count toward your second degree. We usually recommend that students start out in music since many of our music major classes are restricted. There is one degree that is an exception to this 30-hour rule. If you are admitted to the Liberal Arts Plan II Honors Program you may be approved to declare two majors from the beginning.

Keep in mind that you will be very busy if you decide to pursue a second major. Music is a very time-consuming degree, as are many other degrees at the university. The music degree plan that lends itself the most easily to a double major is the Bachelor of Arts in Music, due to the larger number of elective hours that are built into that degree.

Does the Butler School offer a music minor or certificate program?

Although the Butler School of Music does not offer a transcriptable certificate or minor, students with an interest in fine arts might consider the following opportunities:

Transcript-recognized certificates and minors are not required for music majors, but may be combined with a music degree.