Application & Video Audition Deadline: December 1
An application, video audition and interview are required for current University of Texas at Austin students wishing to transfer to the Sarah and Ernest Butler School of Music or add music as a simultaneous major. The Butler School of Music accepts applications for fall semesters only.
- Undergraduate students are limited in their ability to change majors after accepting admission offers. Incoming undergraduates are not allowed to change majors from one college/school to another during summer or during orientation. Visit the Office of Admissions Internal Transfer webpage for more information.
- Students who plan to transfer to music must be in compliance with the university's conditions for transfer between divisions.
- Students who plan to add music as a simultaneous major must earn at least 30 semester hours of coursework in residence before the applied semester of entry. Please visit the Undergraduate Catalog for additional information.
- Students interested in taking classes, not becoming music majors, should refer to the non-music major webpage.
- Internal transfer and simultaneous major applicants are required to attend a Internal Transfer/Simultaneous Major Information Session. Due to time constraints, individual appointment requests cannot be accommodated.
To be considered, complete and submit the following:
Prior to submitting an application to the Butler School of Music, all prospective internal transfer and simultaneous major applicants are required to attend a virtual information session in the fall semester.
- The session will enhance your understanding of university policies effecting internal transfer/simultaneous major applicants, application and audition requirements and studying music as a major at UT Austin.
- The information session will be co-hosted by an admissions representative and a member of the advising team.
Session Dates and Meeting Times
- Fall 2021 session dates and times will be posted here in September
Students must RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours in advance to receive a Zoom meeting link.
If you do not RSVP to the email address above, you will not be admitted into the meeting from the waiting room. Include the following information in your RSVP:
- Full name
- UT EID
- Session you plan to attend
- Applicant type (internal transfer or simultaneous major)
- Music degree(s) of interest
- Instrument or voice-type
- Any specific questions you would like the hosts to address
Butler School of Music Application
The Butler School of Music application will allow you to upload your video audition, letters of recommendation, portfolio and résumé, as applicable to your program. You will also have the opportunity to select your preferred Zoom (virtual) interview date.
All applicants are required to submit:
- Audition video(s)
- Introductory video
- Three letters of recommendation
- Composition applicants must also submit a composition portfolio.
- All required materials, including audition videos, must be attached to your application before it can be submitted for review.
- Do not complete more than one application without requesting approval.
Video Auditions and Zoom (Virtual) Interviews
All Butler School of Music applicants will audition by video recording. In-person auditions for fall 2021 admission consideration are not available.
- Video auditions are due December 21 with the Butler School of Music application.
- All applicants will be prescreened based upon the audition videos and other materials submitted with the application.
- Applicants who pass the prescreen round will be invited to interview with the faculty. The interview may also include a virtual audition or lesson. Review your repertoire requirements for details.
Submit a one to three minute video recording on which you verbally introduce yourself and discuss your musical and non-musical interests, goals, creative or volunteer work and reasons for applying to UT Austin.
In addition to the required audition video(s), applicants to the B.A. in Music - Emphasis in Composition, B.M. Composition and B.M. Jazz Composition degrees must submit a composition portfolio with recorded performances.
Letters of Recommendation
Ask three references to provide a concise statement concerning your musical ability, diligence as a student, potential for future development and any other information that may be pertinent to our consideration of your application. Avoid recommendations from those who know you too well to be unbiased—family members, for instance. If possible, these letters should come from references who know your work as a musician.
Although a résumé is not required to complete your application for admission, we strongly encourage you to submit one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Helpful Hints for a Smooth Application Process
- Attend an Internal Transfer/Simultaneous Major Information Session as early in the process as possible.
- Include your UT EID and full name on any document you submit to the Butler School of Music.
- Print this webpage for your fridge or bulletin board.
- Add "email@example.com" to your safe senders list.