Application & Video Audition Deadline: December 1
Applying to The University of Texas at Austin as a music major is a two-part process that requires separate applications to the university and the Sarah and Ernest Butler School of Music. The Butler School of Music accepts applications for fall semesters only.
To be considered, complete and submit the following:
The University of Texas at Austin Application
Follow the Office of Admissions instructions to submit the online application, application fee, essay, short answer responses, transcripts, and other required materials.
- Freshman applicants can submit either the ApplyTexas application or the Coalition for College application. Only one application should be completed, and your choice will not impact your admission decision.
- High school students who apply to The University of Texas at Austin for fall 2021 undergraduate admission will not be required to submit an ACT or SAT test score as part of their application.
To be seriously considered for admission to the Butler School of Music, select a music major as your first-choice major.
- Begin a new application for the Fall (Aug - Dec) 2021 semester.
- Select "College of Fine Arts" as your first-choice school and continue.
- Select your desired music degree.
- Complete your Coalition profile for The University of Texas at Austin and navigate to the "Program" page.
- Enter "Music" or "Jazz" as your search term or select "Fine Arts" as your academic interest.
- Select your desired music degree.
Butler School of Music Application
The Butler School of Music application will allow you to upload your video audition, letters of recommendation, portfolio and résumé, as applicable to your program. You will also have the opportunity to select your preferred Zoom (virtual) interview date.
All applicants are required to submit:
- Audition video(s)
- Introductory video
- Three letters of recommendation
- Composition applicants must also submit a composition portfolio.
- All required materials, including audition videos, must be attached to your application before it can be submitted for review.
- Do not complete more than one application without requesting approval.
Video Auditions and Zoom (Virtual) Interviews
All Butler School of Music applicants will audition by video recording. In-person auditions for fall 2021 admission consideration are not available.
- Video auditions are due December 1 with the Butler School of Music application.
- All applicants will be prescreened based upon the audition videos and other materials submitted with the application.
- Applicants who pass the prescreen round will be invited to interview with the faculty. The interview may also include a virtual audition or lesson. Review your repertoire requirements for details.
Submit a one to three minute video recording on which you verbally introduce yourself and discuss your musical and non-musical interests, goals, creative or volunteer work and reasons for applying to UT Austin.
In addition to the required audition video(s), applicants to the B.A. in Music - Emphasis in Composition, B.M. Composition and B.M. Jazz Composition degrees must submit a composition portfolio with recorded performances.
Letters of Recommendation
Ask three references to provide a concise statement concerning your musical ability, diligence as a student, potential for future development and any other information that may be pertinent to our consideration of your application. Avoid recommendations from those who know you too well to be unbiased—family members, for instance. If possible, these letters should come from references who know your work as a musician.
Although a résumé is not required to complete your application for admission, we strongly encourage you to submit one.
Helpful Hints for a Smooth Application Process
- Include your UT EID and full name on any document you submit to the Office of Admissions or the Butler School of Music.
- Check your application status regularly. MyStatus is a secure online tool that lets you follow the progress of your admission application and related processes from initial submission to your final admission decision and beyond.
- Print this webpage for your fridge or bulletin board.
- Add "firstname.lastname@example.org" to your safe senders list.