Application Deadline: Dec. 1
Applying to The University of Texas at Austin as a music major is a two-part process that requires separate applications to the university and the Sarah and Ernest Butler School of Music. The Butler School of Music accepts applications for fall semesters only.
To be considered, complete and submit the following:
The University of Texas at Austin Requirements
Follow the Office of Admissions instructions to submit the online application, application fee, essay, short answer responses, transcripts, test scores and other required documents.
Freshman applicants can submit either the ApplyTexas application or the Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success application. Only one application should be completed, and your choice will not impact your admission decision.
To be seriously considered for admission to the Butler School of Music, select a music major as your first-choice major.
- Begin a new application for the Fall (Aug - Dec) 2020 semester.
- Select "College of Fine Arts" as your first-choice school and continue.
- Select your desired music degree.
- Complete your Coalition profile for The University of Texas at Austin and navigate to the "Program" page.
- Enter "Music" or "Jazz" as your search term or select "Fine Arts" as your academic interest.
- Select your desired music degree.
Butler School of Music Application
The Butler School of Music application will allow you to request an audition/interview date and upload letters of recommendation, prescreening materials, portfolios and résumés, as applicable to your program. Materials must be uploaded to your application before the form can be submitted for review. Do not complete more than one application without prior approval.
Letters of Recommendation
Ask three references to provide a concise statement concerning your musical ability, diligence as a student, potential for future development and any other information that may be pertinent to our consideration of your application. Avoid recommendations from those who know you too well to be unbiased—family members, for instance. If possible, these letters should come from references who know your work as a musician.
Only bassoon, clarinet, classical guitar, flute, jazz guitar, piano, viola, violin and voice applicants applying for the Bachelor of Arts in Music degree (excluding Composition emphasis) and the Bachelor of Music degrees in Performance, Music Studies and Jazz must submit a video prescreen recording to be considered for an audition. View prescreen repertoire requirements online.
Bachelor of Arts in Music - Emphasis in Composition, Bachelor of Music in Composition and Bachelor of Music in Jazz Composition applicants must submit a composition portfolio with recorded performances.
Bachelor of Arts in Music - Emphasis in Composition and Bachelor of Music in Composition applicants must also submit a performance video with the portfolio.
Although a résumé is not required to complete your application for admission, we strongly encourage you to submit one.
Bachelor of Arts in Music - Emphasis in Composition and Bachelor of Music in Composition applicants must interview with the composition faculty for admission consideration.
Helpful Hints for a Smooth Application Process
- Include your UT EID and full name on any document you submit to the Office of Admissions or the Butler School of Music.
- Check your application status regularly. MyStatus is a secure online tool that lets you follow the progress of your admission application and related processes from initial submission to your final admission decision and beyond.
- Print this webpage for your fridge or bulletin board.
- Add "email@example.com" to your safe senders list.