The University of Texas at Austin Application Deadline: March 1, 2021
Butler School of Music Application & Video Audition Deadline: December 1, 2020
The Butler School does not accept music applications from prospective students who have not applied to the university, therefore, applicants applying for fall admission must submit the university application and Butler School of Music application prior to the Butler School of Music deadline (Dec. 21) in order to request an interview. Supporting materials for the university application, such as essays, transcripts and other supplemental documents may be submitted to the Office of Admissions through March 1.
If you have already started your post-secondary studies at another college or university after graduating from high school or earning a GED, and have or will have earned 24 semester hours of required transferable coursework at another college or university, apply for transfer admission.
Evaluation of individual courses is not available over the phone, in person or by email from the Butler School of Music. Specific course evaluations and decisions about the transferability of individual courses are made only by the university's Office of Admissions after an applicant has been admitted. The Transfer Resources page offers several suggestions for self-evaluation of transcripts for transfer credit.
Upon entering the Butler School of Music, your transcript will be evaluated by a faculty committee to determine which previous music coursework is equivalent to our courses. There are many factors in these decisions, including your grades, how recently the course was taken, the workload of the course, etc. Up to two semesters of ensemble credits may transfer and apply toward your degree. You won't know how much credit you will receive for your performance lessons (if you've had any) until you have studied for one semester and performed a jury.
Applying to The University of Texas at Austin as a music major is a two-part process that requires separate applications to the university and the Butler School of Music. The Butler School of Music accepts applications for fall semesters only.
To be considered, complete and submit the following:
The University of Texas at Austin Application
Follow the Office of Admissions instructions to submit the online application, application fee, essays, transcripts, résumé and other required materials.
- Transfer applicants can submit either the ApplyTexas application or the Coalition for College application.
- Only one application should be completed, and your choice will not impact your admission decision.
To be seriously considered for admission to the Butler School of Music, select a music major as your first-choice major.
- Begin a new application for the Fall (Aug - Dec) 2021 semester.
- Select "College of Fine Arts" as your first-choice school and continue.
- Select your desired music degree.
- Complete your Coalition profile for The University of Texas at Austin and navigate to the "Program" page.
- Enter "Music" or "Jazz" as your search term or select "Fine Arts" as your academic interest.
- Select your desired music degree.
Butler School of Music Application
The Butler School of Music application will allow you to upload your video audition, letters of recommendation, portfolio and résumé, as applicable to your program. You will also have the opportunity to select your preferred Zoom (virtual) interview date.
All applicants are required to submit:
- Audition video(s)
- Introductory video
- Three letters of recommendation
- Composition applicants must also submit a composition portfolio.
- All required materials, including audition videos, must be attached to your application before it can be submitted for review.
- Do not complete more than one application without requesting approval.
Video Auditions and Zoom (Virtual) Interviews
All Butler School of Music applicants will audition by video recording. In-person auditions for fall 2021 admission consideration are not available.
- Video auditions are due December 21 with the Butler School of Music application.
- All applicants will be prescreened based upon the audition videos and other materials submitted with the application.
- Applicants who pass the prescreen round will be invited to interview with the faculty. The interview may also include a virtual audition or lesson. Review your repertoire requirements for details.
Submit a one to three minute video recording on which you verbally introduce yourself and discuss your musical and non-musical interests, goals, creative or volunteer work and reasons for applying to UT Austin.
In addition to the required audition video(s), applicants to the B.A. in Music - Emphasis in Composition, B.M. Composition and B.M. Jazz Composition degrees must submit a composition portfolio with recorded performances.
Letters of Recommendation
Ask three references to provide a concise statement concerning your musical ability, diligence as a student, potential for future development and any other information that may be pertinent to our consideration of your application. Avoid recommendations from those who know you too well to be unbiased—family members, for instance. If possible, these letters should come from references who know your work as a musician.
Although submitting a résumé to the Butler School is not required to complete your application for admission, we strongly encourage you to submit one. Keep in mind that a résumé is required to complete your application to the Office of Admissions. You may submit the same résumé to the Office of Admissions and the Butler School of Music.
Helpful Hints for a Smooth Application Process
- Include your UT EID and full name on any document you submit to the Office of Admissions or the Butler School of Music.
- Check your application status regularly. MyStatus is a secure online tool that lets you follow the progress of your admission application and related processes from initial submission to your final admission decision and beyond.
- Print this webpage for your fridge or bulletin board.
- Add "email@example.com" to your safe senders list.