Video Audition Deadline: December 1
All prospective students applying to degree programs in chamber music, collaborative piano, conducting, jazz studies, piano pedagogy, opera coaching, opera directing and performance are required to audition.
All Butler School of Music applicants will audition by video recording. In-person auditions for fall 2021 admission consideration are not available.
Applicants who pass the prescreen round will be invited to interview with the faculty on one of the dates below.
Bassoon: January 23, 29, 30
Cello: January 16 (Tsang), January 30 (Tsang & Gindele), February 6 (Tsang), February 13 (Gindele)
Clarinet: January 16, 23
Collaborative Piano: February 6, 13
Conducting - Band/Wind: TBD
Conducting - Choral: TBD
Conducting - Orchestral: TBD
Double Bass: January 16, 23, 30, February 6
Euphonium: January 16, 23, 30
Flute: January 28, 30
Guitar: January 23, 30, February 6, 13
Harp: January 16, 30, February 6
Horn: January 30, February 6, 13
Jazz (all instruments): January 23, 30, February 6
Oboe: January 16, 23, 30
Opera Coaching: January 15 (morning)
Opera Directing: closed
Organ: January 16
Percussion: January 22, 23, 24
Piano: January 23, 30, February 6
Saxophone: January 16, 23, 30, February 6
Trombone: January 16, 23, 30, February 6
Trumpet: January 16, 23, 30, February 6
Tuba: January 16, 23, 30
Viola: January 24, 30
Violin: January 24, 29, 30
Voice (Opera): January 23, 30
Voice (Performance and Pedagogy): January 16, 23, 30
Audition and Virtual Interview Invitation Timeline
All applicants must apply to the Graduate School and the Butler School of Music before audition videos can be reviewed.
- Both applications must be submitted and complete by December 1.
- Audition videos are included in the December 1 deadline.
Within five business days of submitting your Butler School of Music application you will receive an email that will indicate one of the following:
- Your application was successfully submitted and has been forwarded to the faculty for review.
- Additional steps are required prior to faculty review (ex: submission of graduate school application).
After December 1, all applicants will be prescreened based upon the recorded audition videos and other materials submitted with the music application.
- Applicants will be notified of their prescreen results by email in mid-December.
- Submitting your application early will not impact the decision timeline.
Applicants who pass the prescreen round will be invited to interview with the faculty.
- The interview may also include a virtual audition or lesson.
- Review your repertoire requirements for dates and details.
- Please do not make plans to travel to campus.