Application Deadline: extended to Dec. 21
Graduate School Requirements
Follow the Graduate School instructions to submit the ApplyTexas application, application fee and transcripts. Performance applicants are not required to submit a GRE score. International applicants should review the Graduate School instructions to determine if they are required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score.
Sarah and Ernest Butler School of Music Requirements
Submit the following documents through the Butler School of Music application.
Statement of Purpose
The statement of purpose is a 500-word essay outlining your objectives for graduate study, career plans and reasons for applying to our program.
Letters of Recommendation
Three recommendation letters, written in the last 12 months, pertaining to your potential for graduate study in music are required. Provide contact information for your three chosen references in your Butler School of Music application. Notification emails will be sent to your references after you submit the application. Any delay in submitting your application will delay the notifications to your references.
Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
All applicants for graduate degree programs must submit a résumé or curriculum vitae (C.V.) providing complete information concerning musical training, experience, awards, honors, publications and performances.
The repertoire list should include all operatic works performed or coached. If appropriate, you may optionally include a representative selection of solo repertoire, including concertos and other large ensemble works featuring prominent solo passages.
Submit a one to three minute video recording on which you verbally introduce yourself and discuss your musical and non-musical interests, goals, creative or volunteer work and reasons for applying to the Butler School of Music.
Opera Coaching Audition Videos
Opera Coaching applicants must perform and pass an audition to pursue a degree in music. All Butler School of Music applicants will audition by video recording. In-person auditions for fall 2021 admission consideration are not available.
- Video auditions are due December 21 with the Butler School of Music application.
- Each selection may be recorded in a separate video.
- All applicants will be prescreened based upon the audition videos and other materials submitted with the application.
- Prescreening results will be released by email in early January.
Select the Zoom (Virtual) Interview Date
All opera coaching applicants must perform and pass an audition and complete a successful interview to pursue a degree in music.
- Applicants who pass the prescreen round will be invited to a Zoom (virtual) interview with the faculty.
- Interviews will be held the morning of Friday, January 15, 2021.
- The interview will include a virtual audition. Expand the audition requirements above for details.
Helpful Hints for a Smooth Application Process
- Include your UT EID and full name on any document you submit to the Graduate School or the Butler School of Music.
- Use MyStatus to track the receipt of credentials sent to the Graduate and International Admissions Center. You will need your UT EID and password to access this service. You will not be able to check the status of your admission file prior to submitting the ApplyTexas online application and receiving the acknowledgement email with your UT EID and temporary password. Check your application status regularly.
- Add "email@example.com" to your safe senders list.