Musicology & Ethnomusicology

Degree Requirements

Master of Music


In the two-year Master of Music (M.M.) degree in Musicology, students have the opportunity to acquire the appropriate tools and methods of research in both historical musicology and ethnomusicology, and to study the history of music from the remote past to the present as well as the nature and function of music in the cultures of the world. This program prepares students for positions in college teaching, research, music criticism, and, with additional training, library work.




Administrative Contacts
Role Contact Person
Director of Graduate Studies, Graduate Advisor  James Buhler
Graduate Coordinator Marina Martinez
Graduate Admissions Coordinator Daniel Seriff
Scholarships & Assistantships Coordinator Anne Hall
Registrar Stephen Wray
HR Coordinator Aaron Pyle
Operations & Scheduling Page Stephens


Musicology & Ethnomusicology Division Contacts & Faculty
Role Contact Person
Division Head & Musicology Faculty Luisa Nardini
Area Counselor, Musicology Hannah Lewis
Area Counselor, Ethnomusicology Stephen Slawek
Ethnomusicology Veit Erlmann
Ethnomusicology Robin Moore
Ethnomusicology Sonia Seeman
Ethnomusicology & Musicology James Gabrillo
Musicology Charles Carson
Musicology Andrew Dell’Antonio
Musicology Alison Maggart
Musicology Guido Olivieri
Director, African American Vocal Ensemble Charles Carson
Directors, Conjunto Ensemble J.J. Barrera & Joel Guzman
Director, Hispanic Caribbean Ensemble Robin Moore
Director, Indian Classical Music & Javanese Gamelan Ensembles Stephen Slawek
Director, Mariachi Ensemble Mónica Fogelquist
Director, Middle Eastern Ensemble Sonia Seeman



Degree Requirements 

The M.M. in Musicology requires 33 hours of registered coursework, a comprehensive examination, and a master’s report. 

Major Coursework 

Major Coursework for the M.M. in Musicology
Hours Course Number Course Title/Description
3 MUS 381J 

Topic 1: Foundations of Musicology 
Topic 2: Foundations of Ethnomusicology 


MUS 385J or 
MUS 385 

Graduate seminars on specific topics in musicology, including one primarily ethnomusicological (4 semesters) 
3 MUS 398M  Master’s Report 

Musicology students are required to pass a language proficiency examination in one language other than English — normally German, French or Spanish — by petition to the division. The language requirement should ideally be fulfilled by the end of the second semester in residence. 

A comprehensive examination is required of all master’s degree candidates, usually in the final semester. 

Supporting Work 

Supporting Coursework for the M.M. in Musicology
Hours Course Number Course Title/Description
6 MUS 380  Advanced Studies in the History & Culture of Music (2 semesters) 

MUS 388T or 
MUS 388M 

Analytical Techniques or 
Topic 1: Foundations of Music Theory 

To be taken during the first year of study. 

3   Elective non-music or applied music course(s) 




Advising & Registration

For information about course registration, deadlines, adding and dropping courses and other policies, visit the Graduate School Academic & Registration Policies webpage.

Students who wish to take an independent study course need to fill out a Consent Form. Once the faculty member and Graduate Coordinator have approved your request, the bar to register for the course will be lifted.

To be eligible for fellowships, scholarships and assistantships, graduate students are required to be enrolled full-time (at least 9 hours).

All international students are also required to be enrolled full-time during each long semester, regardless of whether they receive funding from the Butler School of Music.

Transferring Coursework

A new master’s student may petition to transfer up to six credits of graduate level coursework completed at another institution, subject to approval by both the Butler School of Music Graduate Studies Committee chair and the Dean of Graduate Studies.

Detailed transfer regulations and forms for master’s students are maintained by the Graduate School.



Graduation Timeline

Semester-by-Semester Overview

Prior to 1st semester

  • All students must take the diagnostic examinations in music history and music theory. Additional diagnostic exams are administered for students in composition, voice, jazz and music theory.

Semester 3

  • Registration for the following if required – MUS 698RA, 698A.
  • M.M. Piano Performance students take their group comprehensive exam.
  • With the approval of their studio teacher, some performance area students may perform their thesis recital.

Semester 4

  • Students must submit a completed M.M. degree check form to verify their completion of coursework.
  • Students must apply to graduate – check graduate school website for deadline.
  • Registration for the following if required – MUS 698RB, 698B, 398M.
  • M.M. String students take their group comprehensive exam.
  • All other students take individual comprehensive exams as arranged by their studio teacher (for performance area students) or their supervising professor (for academic area students).
  • Most performance area students perform their thesis recital.
  • M.M. Music & Human Learning – Non-Thesis Track complete their master’s project.
  • M.M. Music Theory, M.M. Music & Human Learning – Thesis Track and M.M. Composition students complete their master’s thesis or master’s report and submit it to the Graduate School.
  • M.M. Ethnomusicology and M.M. Musicology students complete their master’s report and submit it to the Graduate School.



BSOM Graduate Handbook 2022-23


Office of Graduate Studies
Including fellowship, employment, and TA and AI information

Texas Global, International Student Scholars

Graduate Catalog

Academic Calendars

Graduate Writing Center

Registration, course schedules, registration bars, etc


Consent Form for independent study or other restricted individual instruction courses

One-stop shop for tuition bill, your course schedule, etc….


Texas One-Stop

Office of Financial Aid

Merit-Based Music Scholarships

Graduate Student Travel Award Application

School of Music Travel Award Application

TA and AI Assistance – Tuition Reduction Benefit

Living in TX as a new student

Establishing Residence in Texas

Campus Housing

On-Campus Procedural Info

Butler School Internal Operations Website

Parking & Transportation
UT parking permits, maps, shuttle routes, etc.

Information Technology Services
UT EID help

Health & Wellness


UT Health Services

Musicians’ Health

Career Assistance

COFA Career Services



For Master's students

For DMA/PhD students

For Artist Diploma students

General forms